Sunday 11 December 2016

Fam || Blogmas Day 11

A work in progress ...
seems like Dad's doing most of it!
I was sitting in the library this afternoon, feeling positive about my study, but increasingly tired and suffering from a stomach ache, when I received a message from my Mum, with a photo of the family all putting the tree up, captioned "Missing you!" In that moment, I would have given anything to skip forward a week and be at home with the fam, carefree and in high spirits.

That wee pang of homesickness got me thinking about how important family is, and particularly at Christmas. I mean, Christmas is all about being with the family and spreading the love. If I was on my own (and I don't mean single, because fat chance of that changing in the next fortnight haha!), I don't know if or how I would celebrate, despite being a huge fan of Christmas. The build up is pretty special, but the actual day, for me, is about spending time with my family.

It got me thinking about the many poor souls who do spend Christmas alone, or have to spend it away from their families because of their jobs. And those who have (perhaps recently) lost a loved one and will be spending their first Christmas without them. I'll definitely spare them a thought next week when I'm enjoying family time.

This year, for the first time, we have been invited to spend Christmas day at my Uncle's place. He's having the whole family over.. so there will be approx. 15 people for Christmas dinner! That will be the biggest family Christmas I have ever been a part of, and, while I equally appreciate quiet Christmasses at home, I'm looking forward to a wee change and to seeing everybody.

Going home wouldn't mean anything if I was going home to an empty house. Family is a very important part of the holiday, and I hope that some time (way) in the future, I'll have a family of my own to create Christmas traditions with. But, for now, I will be trying to remember to tell my fam I love and miss them, whenever it feels right, because I do, and it's always nice to say and hear.

Would love to hear in the comments who you spend Christmas with, and if being with your family is a necessity for you on Christmas, or maybe not?

Exam 2 of 3 tomorrow, so I'm going to call it a night. Much love <3


No comments:

Post a Comment