Tuesday 28 June 2016

A Lick of Paint ...

... and a whole new name!

As some of you may have noticed, my blog has had something of a rebrand! The design is not totally set in stone, I like it for now but there is definitely room for further personalisation. However, I didn't want my blog out of action for much longer, and my main focus was my new blog name!

I never knew how tough picking a blog name would be! I have been running my blog for two and a half years now and at the time I used a quote I loved. But I've wanted to change it for ages because, let's be real, it was far too long for a blog name.

Last night I finally decided it was time to act on my intentions, so I sat, in a flurry of late night motivation, for ages with a notebook and tried loads of different word combinations. But I kept drawing blanks- everything I liked the sound of was either already the name of a blog, or kind of cheesy! Eventually, I stripped back all the fluffy adjectives and tried to think of what my blog is, what my aim is.

Picking a name and branding your blog is especially difficult without a theme, and although there are some patterns to my blog (positivity posts, book ad film reviews etc.) I am not ready to limit myself to one theme. Many of my friends with blogs have just used their name, but to be honest I don't think may name is catchy enough for that!

When people come across my blog what I want is for them to see an 'aspiring writer', but not think of that term, because I strongly believe that all those who write are writers. I want to stay true to the type of blog I began with when it was headed with my Ernest Hemingway quote, a place where I publish (mostly!) uncorrected thoughts and opinions, an informal practice space for my personal writing.

And so, welcome to 'Draft One', a starting point, a beginning, a journey. One student informally logging life.

No comments:

Post a Comment