Sunday 3 April 2016

2016 Book #3 (Review): 'Fangirl' by Rainbow Rowell

So, y'all know the drill... I actually finished this book a fortnight ago, but I never seem to get round to writing reviews anytime shortly after reading the book! To be honest, just now is the stupidest time to be writing, because I'm supposed to be working on an essay due Monday, but I'm in a good mood and just really feel the urge to write something other than what I'm supposed to be haha! Plus I feel bad that it's been a while since I last blogged.

Anyway, this book was a Christmas present from one of my close friends, and I was really chuffed to receive it because last year I read another book by Rainbow Rowell, 'Eleanor & Park', and I enjoyed that, and was therefore keen to read 'Fangirl'.

This book started off ok, like one of those reads you're quite enjoying but not loving. However, by the time I was half way through I was completely hooked. I can't really pinpoint exactly what it was (but I'm about to try) but something about the characters was just addictive.


Brief Summary: Twin sisters Cath and Wren have always been inseparable, which makes moving to uni and splitting up very difficult, particularly for Cath, who is an introvert by nature and loves nothing more than just to sit inside and write her fan fiction. As she watches her sister do the usual college things like making friends and getting drunk, she struggles to fit in. Until her friendship with her roommate's male friend escalates, and flourishes into a relationship. Can Cath cope with first love and the pressure she puts on herself to succeed as a writer?

I think one of the main things I loved about this book was how relateable I personally found it. I'm definitely not an introvert (well, not most of the time) and I have never written fan fiction. But I do love to hide away and read and write, and as for boys, well my experience is rather limited! Like Cath, I struggle with the idea that I guy could think of me in that way, and long for the confidence to make it happen. I also love my sister dearly, but struggle with regularly comparing myself to her beauty and popularity. I think I loved the book so much because it gave me hope that I will some day find a guy who likes me for me, plus it inspired me to keep writing!!

I think one of the key themes of 'Fangirl' was, for me, self confidence. As much as I often come across as a confident, chatty, approachable individual, I do really struggle with self confidence and self image at times, and Cath had very similar issues. All the characters were very real!


The novel additionally dealt with the mental health disorder of the twins' Dad- I don't remember it explicitley stating what it is he suffered from, but it sounded very much like Bipolar disorder- with manic episodes that could cause him great harm. Although this isn't something I know at that scale whatsoever, I appreciated that an issue that is all too real was dealt with.

Furthermore, the character Levi had dyslexia, and I think the way Rainbow Rowell explains this is amazing- it doesn't make him sound stupid or incapable- he's an intelligent college student! But it brings to the forefront of readers minds the extra struggles in life that a learning disability can cause, and helps us acknowledge that.

The only drawback of this book, for me, were the snippets from fantasy novels and fanficition imbedded within and between chapters- not my preferred genre and after reading the first few, I started skipping them haha!

If you're a slightly geeky person who loves a really down to earth read I would definitely recommend this book! Now, I suppose I better get back to my essay! :(

P.s.: The quote from Rainbow Rowell below pretty much perfectly sums up the stage of life I am at right now, and therefore I think perfectly explains why you should read this book haha! :


No comments:

Post a Comment